What to do about unpaid wages?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about unpaid wages?

I was hired by a company 6 weeks ago the term of my employment was $700 per week and 10% commisions on all sales. Have not been paid. For the last 2 weeks my boss has promised to get me my pay but every time he is suppose to get me money, he doesn’t show or gives me some sob story. What options do I have at this time?

Asked on April 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have an absolute right to be paid for work you did, at the agreed upon compensation. If your employer does not pay you, one option is to sue him for the money; another option is to contact  your state department of labor and file a complaint. Filing a complaint is free, but the department of labor has discretion which complaints to act on and when--you may not get action, or at least not quickly. Suing puts the ball in your court and lets you control what is being done. You could potentially sue in small claims court, acting as your own attorney, saving on legal fees.

Note that the employer is claiming to not have money, it could be either that the business is failing or that someone is embezzling from it. In either of those events, if you wait to long, the business may close and all assets be disappated, leaving you no way to recover your money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption