i was hired as a security officer but doing accounting and administration work and not getting the pay

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

i was hired as a security officer but doing accounting and administration work and not getting the pay

I was hired to do security job duties but my boss placed me with a company inside
the building to do they administration duties along with accounting work I was
promised the job late last year of 2015 but still getting the runaround. I ask
several times how long do the process takes to get hired and I still have no
answer and I’m not being paid to do these job duties what can i do. I feel I’m
being used for the job until they hire someone else. Its been 8 months now.

Asked on May 12, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unless you had a contract specifiying your job duties, your employer is free to change or redefine your job at will, so you can be hired to do X but instead end up doing Q. Also, the employer sets pay: so they can pay you less than people doing the job(s) you are doing typically get, or they can reduce your pay and pay you less than they had offered or initially paid you. Employers also don't need to hire employees--e.g. to hire job candidates; or let temps convert to full time--it is completely up to them who to hire and when.
Without an employment contract, your only rights are that whatever your rate or wage is--whatever amount the employer decides it is--it must be paid; if you are hourly, you must be paid overtime, when working more than 40 hours per week; and your hourly rate must be at least minimum wage. If they are not paying you in this regard (e.g. not paying you for all hours, not paying overtime, or paying less than mimimum), you could contact your state department of labor to file a wage complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption