If I was hired as a salary employee and then put in my notice to resign, am I owed my earned vacation days?

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was hired as a salary employee and then put in my notice to resign, am I owed my earned vacation days?

I gave 9 days notice. I have 96 hours.

Asked on July 3, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, you are only owed unused vacation if there was a written agreement stating that you'd get them paid out or the like if/when you resigned. Otherwise, the law does not require employers to pay out vacation days, allow employees to use them after noticing resignation, or otherwise compensation employees for unused vacation days. Once you put in your resignation, the employer could reuse to pay those days, refuse to let you use them post-resignation, or simply ignore your notice and fire you on the spot.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption