What can I do if I underwent a dental treatment that was not the correct treatment for me?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I underwent a dental treatment that was not the correct treatment for me?

I was going to an orthodontist for treatment with invisible braces, which was estimated to be about 1 1/2 years, but after 2 years, my teeth weren’t moving properly. It was at this point that he did a full palate X-ray and noticed that my canine was impacted. He did take X-rays prior to beginning treatment but apparently not full ones. In those 2 years, I’d already paid $5000 – out of pocket. At that point, he told me that the invisible braces wouldn’t work and that I needed standard braces. He handed me off to another orthodontist, who is currently working on my case as a favor to him (I only had to pay $700 for materials); I have not heard from him since. What can I do about this?

Asked on July 17, 2015 under Malpractice Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Dental malpractice is negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable dental practitioner in the community would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).

Prior to filing a lawsuit for negligence against the first orthodontist, it may be possible to settle the case with his malpractice insurance carrier.

Your claim filed with the malpractice insurance carrier should include your dental bills,  dental reports, and if applicable documentation of any wage loss.

Compensation for the dental bills is straight reimbursement.  The dental reports will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the dental bills.  Obtain the dental reports from both orthodontists.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.

If the case is settled with the malpractice insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.

If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the malpractice insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the first orthodontist.

If the case is NOT settled with the malpractice insurance carrier, your lawsuit for negligence against the first orthodontist must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption