What to do if I was fired without any paperwork and was denied to see proof of the claims against me?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was fired without any paperwork and was denied to see proof of the claims against me?

I worked at a restaurant for 4 years as a server. I have no prior write-ups in my file to my knowledge. I was sat down in the front of the dining room in front of my peers and customers and terminated without any documentation present. I was told he was too busy to show me the customer complaints against me and he had been meaning to do this for a while but he hadn’t seen me around.

Asked on August 5, 2011 Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately your employer did nothing wrong. If you are an "at will" employee (and most employees are) your workplace can fire you for this or any reason, even no reason at all. And with or without notice. Employers virtually complete discretion when it comes to setting the terms and conditions of employment. So absent a company policy to the contrary, or a union agreement, or employment contract prohibiting this, your employer's action violated no law.  

Note: If there was some form of discrimination at play (although you did not indicate that to be the case). That would be illegal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption