If I was firedbecause I broke my foot and am now unable to drive the1 hour trip to work, do I have legal recourse?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was firedbecause I broke my foot and am now unable to drive the1 hour trip to work, do I have legal recourse?

I was just fired due to breaking my foot and have to be off of work. I was in the hospital several months ago with heart and lung problems; I had a heart cath and missed a few days of work. I am a part-time employee.

Asked on August 6, 2011 West Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were using some form protected leave--e.g. the Family and Medical Leave Act leave (not: only companies with over 50 staff are covered by it, and you woud have had to have worked a certain amount of time to qualify, too)--or were using sick days or other PTO (if any), to cover the absences, then you should not have been fired. You can't be fired for using a protected leave and should not be fired for using days you've earned.

On the other hand, in the absence of protected leave or using enough earned days to cover your absence, you may be fired, unfortunately. A company does not need to employ someone who does not or cannot come into work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption