What to do if I was fired for theft and my former employer is seeking to press charges against me when it didn’t with someone else who stole from them?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was fired for theft and my former employer is seeking to press charges against me when it didn’t with someone else who stole from them?

I was recently fired from my job for stealing $5, which I admitted to and they have evidence of. However my bosses are now pressing charges against me. I feel this is discrimination since one of my bosses had a cousin who stole $10k from the store they had put him in charge of, and they never filed charges against him. they just had him pay back the money over time. Does this count as discrimination since I’m having charges filed against me for $5 when someone else in the company stole way more and was not charged with anything?

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Given the situation where you admit that you were fired for stealing money from your former employer and were fired as a result where your former employer is now seeking to press criminal charges against you, he or she under the law can do so. As such, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney about it.

As to what was done with respect to a family member who stole from his relative, that resolution is not relevant to your situation. Theft is theft and unfortunately you are not related to your former employer. There is no claim for discrimination with respect to your predicament.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption