I was fired from a job on the 14th and my employer did not submit my final weeks pay.What do I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was fired from a job on the 14th and my employer did not submit my final weeks pay.What do I do?

I have a check stub showing that time
went in on the 9th. I also have a video
showing I was at work on the 14th? 4
days was erased or not submitted. He
and I had an argument and I feel he
omitted my time out of spite.

The store had all African managers the
showed racism.

Asked on July 30, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) For a simple unpaid wages claim (e.g. that you were not paid for days or hours worked), you can try contacting the state department of labor--they may be able to help you get the money. If they can't, you could sue your employer for the money in small claims court; you'd need to convince the court that you worked when you said you did, but assuming you can do that, you should get a judgment requiring them to pay.
2) But if you believe racial discrimination was involved in your termination and/or the failure to pay you, contact the federal EEOC about filing a discrimination complaint; you may be entitled to compensation for racial discrimination as well as for the unpaid work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption