What should I do if my company direct deposited money into my account after I was terminated?

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if my company direct deposited money into my account after I was terminated?

I was fired from a company 2 weeks ago; I got paid every week. I decided to look in my bank account and noticed that I recieved a paycheck. I have yet to get a paystub.

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you received a direct deposit into you bank account from your former employer after you have been fired and believe that there was an error in the deposit, you should contact the human resources department about the perceived error and follow up the call with a written letter and/or e mail about it keeping a copy for future reference and need.

You then wait to see what the reply is to your inquiry. The last thing you want is to make it appear that you are being dishonest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption