If I use my personal vehicle for business, am I entitled to reimbursement for mileage?

UPDATED: Jul 30, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 30, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I use my personal vehicle for business, am I entitled to reimbursement for mileage?

Asked on July 30, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, no. The fact is that employers are not required to reimburse employees for expenses incurred in connection with their work, this includes travel expenses. The exceotion being if your employer promised reimbursement; not paying you mileage would constitute some form of actionable discrimination and/or reimbusing you would violate a union or employment contract or the like.

If your paid for this mileage, then your travel expenses may constitute tax deductible expenses which you can deduct on your own taxes. Additionally, if the employee is non-exempt, they might need to be paid for the time spent traveling (it may even result in voertime pay, if applicable).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption