If Iwas fired for alleged inappropriate guest interaction, shouldn’t I be entitled to a copy of the allegations?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iwas fired for alleged inappropriate guest interaction, shouldn’t I be entitled to a copy of the allegations?

I have made many attempts to contact the company and receive a copy of the allegations so I could submit a proper appeal. The company refused to provide it to me and is now directing me to their legal department. I believe they did not follow their contract in regards to how the situation was handled and this document would prove that , the contract is not “employment at will”

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Ok, so let me understand: you are an employee with an employment contract, correct?  So you are not an "employee at will" as you understand it.  And you believe that you were fired in violation of your contract.  Do you have the contract? You will need it. 

Now, you are claiming that there were allegations made against you and that is was investigated and then you were fired.  You were never shown the allegations.  The "document" that you are referring to is this am employee manual or handbook?  Would that be the "contract" that you are referring to (in some states it would be akin to a contract)? And you believe that they did not follow procedure in following the rough with the claim and their investigation.  You need to seek legal help with this.  Someone in your area has to read the necessary documents to evaluate the claim.  Seek help from an employment lawyer and file a complaint with the Department of Labor. Your right to se the allegations will depend on many things.  In some states employees do not have the right to see their files. Seek legal help. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption