What to do if I was fired due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was fired due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Some items came up as missing at work and I was videotaped going into the office. I worked in a college dorm at the front desk. I was in that area to get paper and since I put some paper in my purse I am being excused of stealing video games from where the paper is kept. I am on video going into the office and also putting something into my purse (paper) but there is no evidence that it is video games. Security staff, custodial staff, resident advisers and other employees have access to the same area but I was the only one questioned and fired. What can I do about this issue?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Actually, there is probably not much that you can do. In an "at will" employment relationship (and most employment is at will), an employer can hire and fire as it deems necessary and sees fit. This means that an employee can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.

That is unless an employment policy/contract or union agreement was violated or some form of actionable discrimination played a role in your treatment. Absent that, then I'm afraid that your employer's actions were perfectly permissible and within the law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption