What can I do if I was fired and now the company wants the money back from the unemployment I received?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I was fired and now the company wants the money back from the unemployment I received?

I worked for a company for 2 years and it wasn’t until we got a new supervisor that I was fired. He had it out for me and eventually fired me for being 8 minutes late. I lived 55 minutes from my work place and I was only late because of an accident on the road. Before this incident, he singled me out all the time and wrote me up for the smallest things. I filed for unemployment and got it for 4 months and now my old company has filed a complaint and wants the money back.

Asked on November 14, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are entitled to unemployment benefits if you are terminated or fired, so long as you were not fired "for cause"--e.g. for violating company policies, for insubordination, for theft or other illegal activity, etc. If the company is alleging now that you were fired for cause, but you believe that was not the case, you can present your evidence (if the unemployment office or company actually takes  action against you) that you were terminated, but not for cause. To help you make your case and keep the money, you would be well advised to hire an attorney with unemployment compensation case experience.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption