I was falsly accused of insurance fraud at my place of employment and was terminated.

UPDATED: May 23, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was falsly accused of insurance fraud at my place of employment and was terminated.

I was accused of falsifying an insurance claim in the optical field. I am an optician, and was accused by my employer of marking a patients chart after it was submited the first time. They claimed I marked a code that would reimburse us for the claim. I did not do that, they have no proof it was me other than the patient stating she spoke to a man. I don’t know what to do next. I would like my job back, but most importantly, I want my name cleared of any fraudulent activity.

Asked on May 23, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

This is a tough one.  You need to see an employment lawyer in your area, and have him or her review all the facts.  Sometimes a detail that might seem insignificant to you will make all the difference.  One place to look for a qualified attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

Unless you can come up with some very convincing proof that somebody else did this, you are probably not going to be able to get your job back.  Unless you had a written contract, your employment was probably "at will," which means they can fire you with no reason at all, and even unproven suspicion of something like this would keep them well clear of the very few exceptions to that rule.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption