If I was drunk and kicked a cop car and am being charged with vandalism and public intoxication, how do I prepare for court?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was drunk and kicked a cop car and am being charged with vandalism and public intoxication, how do I prepare for court?

I cannot afford a lawyer.

Asked on September 16, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that you did not do the things you are accused of, make sure you bring any witnesses who will testify on your behalf and/or any evidence. For example: friends or family who were there and saw what happened; photos or video, if anyone used a cell phone or other camera; etc. The same thing goes if you feel the police officer did something wrong and want to raise his wrongdoing (e.g. excessive violence or roughness): make sure you have any evidence and witnesses.

When you are at court, make sure you are respectful of everyone:  prosecutor, police, and especially the judge. Nothing will hurt your case more than showing "attitude" in court.

Be prepared to agree to any classes, counseling, etc. that are  recommened--that will help. If you are in or have begun any classes or counseling that will show that you are trying to make sure this doesn't happen again--such as AA, anger management, etc.--be sure to mention them and consider having a witness from the class accompany you, to testify to your good participation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption