What to do if I was dropping friends off at a party but they opened their containers a bit too soon?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was dropping friends off at a party but they opened their containers a bit too soon?

My friends opened their alcohol down the street from the party they were to attend. Within those 2 minutes I got pulled over and now I’m to appear in court for open containers; they got this as well. They are all over 21 but I am 19. My only concern is will my license be suspended? If so, is there anything I can do to avoid that from happening?

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There is a good chance that your driver's license will be suspended for at least a year and possibly until you are twenty-one (21) if you are convicted of this alcohol related offense that you have written about. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to see what your legal options are to try and resolve the matter that you are writing about with as little negative impact upon you down the road.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption