If I was driving in a parking lot and someone let go of their cart which damaged my car, what is the law regarding where I have the repairs done?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was driving in a parking lot and someone let go of their cart which damaged my car, what is the law regarding where I have the repairs done?

The person at fault has admitted fault and is willing to pay but wants me to get my repairs done at an auto shop they choose. I have provided her with 3 estimates.

Asked on October 27, 2015 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

They can't force you to get the repairs done at their shop; but if you don't have the work done at their shop, they can refuse to pay. In that case, to get the money, you'd have to sue them and win--that's the only way to force them to pay--by proving their fault in court. (And, of course, they may deny their fault in court, so it becomes "he said, she said," as you contradict each other, leaving the court to decide who is right.) Therefore, you have to consider whether it is better to get, the work done were they want, or to sue them, spending  the time & money, and taking the chance of losing (you can never count on winning), that goes with a lawsuit. If you do agree to have the work done where they want, before bringing the car in, have them sign an agreement to pay the charges or cost--you don't want to bring  the car to a shop you didn't choose yourself, then have the renege on paying.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption