What can I do if my ex-husband canceled the insurance on our 2 daughters?

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my ex-husband canceled the insurance on our 2 daughters?

I was divorced about 1 1/2 years ago’; he canceled the insurance on our daughters about 6 months ago. They are 21 and 19 and are both full-time college students in good standing. He is still working as an electrician, as he was when we divorced. I have been writing letters to employers and the Insurance companies requesting that the insurance be reinstated. We have not received any response. As we have tried to attain other insurance through badger care and the Marketplace we were informed by all told by all representatives that it was illegal for him to have canceled the insurance. Although the protective order has expired, my daughters nor I feel comfortable contacting their father about the matter.

Asked on June 4, 2014 under Family Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming that he was to maintain insurance while they are full time students pursuant to your divorce and settlement agreement, correct?  This agreement should have "survived" divorce, meaning that it remains in effect and that the court retained the ability to make decisions based upon it.  In New York the Family Court would retain that right and a person would go to family court and ask a Judge to enforce the agreement. If he refuses you may need a lawyer.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption