I was discharged from my job due to my illness called schizophrenia

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was discharged from my job due to my illness called schizophrenia

My doctor old them that i poses a
threat to myself and others in the

Asked on September 21, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you did pose a threat (or at least there was credible evidence, such as your own doctor's testimony) that you posed a threat, they may legally terminate you. While an employer must make "reasonable" accommodations to an employee's disability, including mental illness, it is not considered reasonable for an employer to have to expose its other staff or customers to danger, or itself to liability (they could be sued for a lot of money if you were to harm anyone). Therefore, if there are reasonable grounds to believe you pose a threat, they could terminate you to protect themselves and their other workers or visitors to their business.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption