Can bankruptcy trustee re-open a Chapter 7 case 11 years later?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can bankruptcy trustee re-open a Chapter 7 case 11 years later?

I was discharged from a Chapter 7 bankruptcy 11 years ago. I recently found out that I might be receiving a settlement from a class action lawsuit. In the same week I received paper work that the trustee for the bankruptcy has re-opened my case to get the money from the lawsuit.

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, under federal bankruptcy laws the trustee can re-open your long closed Chapter 7 bankruptcy matter with respect to a settlement stemming from a class action matter that was listed as an asset of your estate presumably. The reason for such is that such settlement amounts should not go to you but your creditors stemming at the time of the filing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption