If I was cut off and I rear-ended a lady do I make a police report and, if so, how?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was cut off and I rear-ended a lady do I make a police report and, if so, how?

We got out to exchange info but she didn’t want to. My phone was dead so I couldn’t get any pictures. I did not get a license plate number as there was no plate. She hurried and told me it was fine and not to worry about it just to be careful and drove off. I know the make and model of her car and time and where.

Asked on September 28, 2015 under Accident Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can make a police report, but you are not required to do so.  If she was at fault and refused to exchange info, then she would be liable failing to leave identifying information. If you were at fault, but she refused to receive your information, but then refused to receive your information-- then you have done your duty. If there was not damage to either vehicle, then there is no need for police involvement.  At this point, make notes on what happened and just keep them handy should you ever need the information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption