If iwas convicted of a felony, canI get my rights to bear arms back?

UPDATED: Nov 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If iwas convicted of a felony, canI get my rights to bear arms back?

I was convicted of a Class C felony in about 5 years back when I was a senior in high school. I have not been able to pay my court fines due to me being jobless. I now have means of paying the fines. Will I ever be able to get my rights to bear arms back?

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Criminal Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. The first thing that you need to do to resolve the situation that you are in is to pay off the due fine and all accrued penalties as to your prior conviction.

The next thing you should do is consult with a criminal defense attorney as to what can be done to allow you to own a fire arm. Possibly you are a candidate for a motion to expunge your prior criminal conviction. If you are successful in such a motion your prior conviction is essentially eliminated.

You need to be aware that not all motions to expunge a prior conviction are granted. Factors for granting the motion is how long ago did the conviction occur, what was the offense that one was convicted for, what has the person done since the conviction and the reason for the request.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption