What to do if I was contacted today by the police and asked to come in for an “interview” because an ex-employer says that I have stolen money?

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was contacted today by the police and asked to come in for an “interview” because an ex-employer says that I have stolen money?

I have never been in trouble before and was told that if I voluntarily go there I can be arrested. I’m terrified because I did nothing wrong but again I was told by the officer he couldn’t divulge any information over the phone and that’s why I needed to come in.

Asked on October 23, 2012 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you are under no obligation to speak with the police regarding a criminal offense (even if they come to your home to question you). The fact is that if you're a target of an investigation, you should not speak with the police without having an attorney present. Meeting with them without legal representation is to their advantage. The fact is that you could unknowingly say something that would incriminate yourself or someone else regarding the crime. Additionally, they may well try and intimdate you or try to "befriend" you, all to manipulate into saying something against your self-interest.

Remember, until you have a lawyer, steer clear of the authorities. At this point you need to consult directly with a criminal law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption