What to do if I was cited with a misdemeanor petty theft charge?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was cited with a misdemeanor petty theft charge?

This is a first time offense and I have no prior criminal history of any nature. The paper I received from the officer stated that if I plead guilty and pay a fee, then I am not required to appear before a judge. How much should I expect this fee to be, and what would be the best option to take here?

Asked on October 11, 2014 under Criminal Law, Idaho


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Please do not do ANYTHING until you speak with a lawyer.  Pleading guilty of a theft charge - even petty theft - means that every time you are asked on a job application if you were convicted of a crime you have to answer "yes" and crimes of theft are the hardest to overcome.  That means that no employer wants what they consider a thief in their business.  So if you have a clean record and there is a diversion program to be had so that the charges will be dismissed after a certain period of time (generally 6 months after the program is completed and you stay clean), go for it. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption