What do I do if I was cited for shoplifting because I walked out of the store by accident with a product?

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if I was cited for shoplifting because I walked out of the store by accident with a product?

I was returning an item and was in the store for 4 hours throughout the process. At one point while I was waiting I was looking at a couple of items. When I was done at one help desk and I was directed to wait elsewhere for more help, I placed everything in a shopping bag I had brought with me with what I was returning. I was there for at least an hour after that, trying to fix another issue and forgot that I had put the items in the shopping bag. When it was finally fixed, I walked out with the product, having forgotten in was in my bag. I was then grabbed by the security guard and brought back in the store and arrested.

Asked on July 2, 2014 under Criminal Law, California


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You would bwe very wise to retain an attorney. 

The collateral consequences of any theft can often be as serious as the criminal penalties offering a lifetime of frustration which can impact employment, renting apartments, entrance in to post-secondary education and anything that requires a background check.  Accordingly, a strong defense is necessary.
If you have no prior offense, a from of community diversion may be available which keeps the offense off of your record and preserves your future.  
Many lawyers offer free consultations for criminal matters.  You would be wise to take advantage of such a  consultation with an experienced attorney.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption