What should I do if I was cited for an MIP and have a trial set for next month?

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I was cited for an MIP and have a trial set for next month?

There is no evidence that I had alcohol in my cup I poured it out before approaching the officer and no breathalyzer or anything. However I did initially give him the wrong age, saying I was 21. What should I do?

Asked on November 15, 2012 under Criminal Law, New Mexico


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There are a couple of things that you should do.  First, if you can afford an attorney, get one.  If you cannot afford one, see if the court will give you a court appointed attorney.  Even though just an MIP, it still has consequences and you don't want to be at a disadvantage at trial.

Second, make sure that you appear for trial (with or without an attorney).   If you do not appear, it could result in additional charges and a warrant for your arrest. 

Third, once you appear, do not testify.  Based on what you have described, there may be no actual evidence agaist you--- except your own testimony.  If you take the stand and decide to testify, the prosecutor will have the right to ask you questions, including about what you did with the alcohol prior.  You could accidentally walk yourself into a conviction.  The better angle is to go with counsel and let them cross-examine the officer on the lack of actual evidence against you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption