If I was charged with 2 counts of simple assault and have to go to court, should I have a lawyer?

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was charged with 2 counts of simple assault and have to go to court, should I have a lawyer?

My family/friends have advised me to plead no contest and that it’s not necessary to get a court appointed lawyer. But a friend who’s been through this suggested I pay the small fee for the court appointed lawyer and have my fines reduced. I don’t know what to do. My family says getting a lawyer would drag the case on, but my friend is concerned that my fines will be a lot. I’m not even sure what kind of fines I’m looking at for this and my family says probably not more than something in the $200-$300 range. What should I do?

Asked on June 7, 2014 under Criminal Law, New Hampshire


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your friend is correct.  It would be advisable to be represented by an attorney, who may be able to negotiate a reduction in the charge, sentence, fine, etc.  Without an attorney, you will be at a disadvantage and it will be unlikely that you will be successful in seeking a reduction in the charge, sentence, fine, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption