I was charged with theft of a licence plate, willI have ot go to jail?

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was charged with theft of a licence plate, willI have ot go to jail?

I was arrest for having a stolen licence plate on my car. I did not know it was stolen until I was arrested. I was arrested for having one 3 years ago, but was not convicted. I did not steal that one either. I need to know what to do to defend myself. I will pay a fine it I have to but can’t do jail time.

Asked on March 26, 2011 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You probably won't face jail time go to jail for this. However, this is a criminal charge and anytime such charges are involved you should consider retaining legal counsel.  A experienced defense lawyer might be able to get the charge dismissed on a technicality, have the charge reduced, or win an acquittal at trial.  If you are a first-time offender, they may also be able to arrange for something known as "diversion" (or NC's equivalent) which is an alternative sentencing program whereby you would plead guilty to the charge, receive a special probation, and upon its successful completion the charge would be withdrawn and your case dismissed.  Additionally, yourr record should be automatically cleared.  However, diversion is typically only allowed for a first offense.  This means that if you ever again get into trouble it will not be available to you.  That's why if you get an attorney who gets the charge dismissed, you will be eligible for diversion in the future if you should need it (hopefully not).

If money is an issue, see if you qualify for representation by the Public Defender or Legal Aid (there are income limits).  Also, check if there is a law school nearby to where the charges where brought; they typically run free/low cost clinics that handle these type cases.  Finally, you can contact the local Bar Association in the county in question; they may have a list of attorneys who will take your case "pro bono" (for free) or at least for a reduced fee based on your income/circumstances. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption