What to do if I was charged with the possession of under 3 grams of marijuana and paraphernalia?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was charged with the possession of under 3 grams of marijuana and paraphernalia?

I was pulled over and received 2 tickets (both misdemeanors) for appearance before a judge. The officer (state trooper I believe) said most likely, id be on probation for 6 months for each ticket along with license suspension for the same amount of time. They may run each concurrently. my question is what do I plead when I go to court? Even though I confessed to the possession, is it more beneficial to plead not guilty and try to talk to the DA? Is there any way to avoid probation and suspended license? Also, I have never been in trouble before so I have no idea how the court process even works

Asked on December 30, 2013 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Possession of a controlled substances is defined in Ohio as knowingly obtaining, possessing or using a controlled substance under the Ohio Revised Code § 2925.11.

Drug offenses in Ohio, including Possession of a Controlled Substance, or PCS, can result in very serious repercussions and harsh punishments, including prison sentences, fines and negative effects on employment and educational opportunities.

Possessing an illegal drug in Ohio is punishable as a state offense, federal offense or both. Controlled substances or drugs can include medications with a prescription, medications without a prescription, street drugs, illegal drugs, natural substances and chemicals.

I suggest you plead not guilty after you have consulted with a reputable criminal defense attorney in the county where the charge is pending. One can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption