If I was charged with petit larceny for shoplifting, do I plead guilty if I know I’m guilty?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was charged with petit larceny for shoplifting, do I plead guilty if I know I’m guilty?

I have never stolen anything in my life. I am a 19 year old college student.

Asked on November 11, 2015 under Criminal Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Since shoplifting is a criminal offense so you should have legal representation if you can. An experienced criminal lawyer might be able to get the charge dismissed (on a technicality, etc.). Also, since you are a first-time offender, legal counsel may also be able to arrange for an alternative sentencing program, in many states known as "diversion". With such a program you'll plead guilty to the charge, receive a probation and upon successful completion, your plea will be withdrawn and the case dismissed (your record should automatically be automatically cleared). 
Note:  Diversion is only allowed for a first offense which means that if you get into trouble again, it won't be available to you regarding any future charge. So if you get an attorney and they get your case dismissed, you will be eligible for diversion if you should need it going forward.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption