What should I do if I was charged with distributing alcohol to minors?

UPDATED: Feb 4, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 4, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I was charged with distributing alcohol to minors?

I met the girl through an online dating site. Since her school doesn’t allow alcohol she asked if I would buy her some. I did and found out later she was underage when the cops showed up at my place. I only met this girl once and not for very long. I have no criminal background and The prosecuting attorney said if I pled guilty he was going to send me to jail. I don’t really have any money for a lawyer.

Asked on February 4, 2014 under Criminal Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Licensee - Generally, selling to a minor is considered a class-2 misdemeanor in most states, which means it only carries a 30 day maximum sentence and a small fine (incarceration is unlikely).  However, if the minor is under 18 years of age, then it usually increased to a class-1 misdemeanor, which is a full year in jail and a $1,000 fine.  In addition, civil penalties will be awarded against the licensee for the vicarious liability of the clerk, starting from $500 and doubling for each offense (if the clerk has not attended any state mandated training courses, these fines may double).   Also, if the licensee himself sells alcohol to a minor, many states will automatically revoke the license.

Based upon what you have written about, you need to consult with the public defender's office in the county where the charge is pending to see if you qualify for representation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption