What do I do if I was charged with a misdemeanor for petty theft and now there is a warrant out for my arrest?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if I was charged with a misdemeanor for petty theft and now there is a warrant out for my arrest?

My citation had a court date but when I showed up to court the clerk told me that the Police Department had not yet filed charges; I was to call once a week to my county’s superior court. I call once a week but I have not been given any information regarding what actions I should take. It has been 7 months and still I have not hear or received any information regarding my case. Today I decided to speak to the superior court’s clerk department to see why I haven’t received information regarding my case, and I was told there is now a warrant for my arrest which I do not understand why that is happening if i have not been contacted on any actions to take. What should I do?

Asked on July 21, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you were out on bond... a good starting point is your bondsman.  They will have access to some court records and be able to tell you what happened with any notices that you should have received.  If you have a good bondsman, they can often walk you through the process of getting the warrant set aside on the condition that they stay on your bond. 

If you have a bad bondsman, then find a new bondsman or new attorney... because they will simply turn you in to avoid a bond forfeiture.

Your next step is to consult with an attorney. You would be better hiring one for full representation... but if you are limited on funds, you can hire one for the limited purpose of helping you with the warrant issue.  They can find out what went wrong, make a motion to reinstate your bond (if any) and help assure the court that this was an isolated incident or miscommunication-- not an attempt on your part to abscond.  Once you resolve that issue, then you can start re-focusing on what to do with the charges.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption