If I was charged for due diligence and leaving the scene of an accident, is it possible to get the charges dropped?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was charged for due diligence and leaving the scene of an accident, is it possible to get the charges dropped?

It was close to 11 pm. I was going the speed limit, took a sharp turn, lost control of the vehicle and slid into the ditch. Tires were popped and the alignment is a little off now. This was all of 500 yards (maybe 750) away from my house. So I went ahead and went home, not knowing it was the law to report. Also, I needed some help to get the vehicle out of the ditch. I came back a few hours later after figuring out how we were going to get the truck out. There was a cop writing a ticket. I had not been drinking, nor was I under the influence of any narcotics or other drugs.

Asked on August 1, 2011 Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From the facts contained within your question, it seems that you were charged with leaving the scene of an accident under Nevada law. You need to review the statute that you are charged with to ascertain if you actually violated the statute as written in your own mind.

Remeber, the prosecution has the burden of proof as to the criminal charges against you. You have the right to not tesitfy at trial under your consitutional right against self-incrimination. There are no real witnesses as to what happened with you when you were driving your car.

There is a pretty good chance that the charges could be dismissed against you from what you have written. However, you should probably consult with a criminal defense attorney to protect your interests as to the charges against you.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption