What can happen to me if I don’t successfully complete my probation?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen to me if I don’t successfully complete my probation?

I was caught with less than 0.2 g of meth. I’ve been to court already and the judge has given me a chance to do probation but I couldn’t finish the program, so then he sent me to another program. However this one is worse because it required me to go to class and NA meetings 3 times a week I just can’t do it because of my job. What’s the worst the could happen now when I go back to court?

Asked on October 14, 2014 under Criminal Law, California


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The worst thing is that probation moves to violate you and the judge remands you pending a hearing.  This means that no amount of bail will get you out of jail.  If you lose the probation violation hearing, you face up to the maximum sentence of the original plea that put you on probation and potentially a consecutive sentence on the new possession charge. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption