What to do if I was called slow, stupid, and an idiot by my manager knowing that I am on disability for a mental illness?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was called slow, stupid, and an idiot by my manager knowing that I am on disability for a mental illness?

I work at a major fast food chain. When I was hired I told them I was on SSD. They asked me what for and I told them it was for a mental illness. Then last night at work she singled me out called me slow, stupid, and an idiot making me feel very bad. She then had a good laugh at me because my hands were shaking from my medicine and I couldn’t get 2 slices of cheese apart. I am afraid to file a complaint because she is my manager and I really need the job. I don’t know what to do.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you can do is to either contact the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), or your state civil rights or equal opportunity agency/commission (they go by different names in each state, but you should be able to find it easily with a web search) and file a complaint for employment discrimination against the disabled--what your manager is doing, based on what you write, is illegal. Or you could contact a private attorney and bring a lawsuit yourself against manger and employer for violation of equal employment opportunity law.

Also, if you file a complaint with upper management about what your manager has done, they are not allowed to retaliate against you for filing that complaint--if they do, that gives rise to a legal cause of action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption