What to do if I was fired because I was unable to provide a urine specimen on the spot?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was fired because I was unable to provide a urine specimen on the spot?

I was called on my day off by a supervisor and told that they were starting new random drug test . I went down to take my test but had a hard time providing them with a sample. It was explained to me that I had an hour time limit. I tried everything (coffee, water and pop) but was unable to pee. At the end of the hour since I could not provide them with a sample it was considered a hot UA. I called and went to talk to my supervisor right away to see what I needed to do but I was fired. What are my rights? How will this effect my unemployment claim and my employment search?

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you were fired for being unable to provide a "pop" urine sample due to various reasons, your termination could very well have been illegal. If your employer/employee manual does not state you are subject to urine testing, what was done was clearly illegal.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of employment law or your local department of employment. I suggest that you make a claim for unemployment. You should be entitled to it. As to your employment search, it is up to you to tell any possible employers why you were terminated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption