What to do if I was at a gas station and one of its pumps had a faulty hose and I was sprayed in the face and eye with gas?

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was at a gas station and one of its pumps had a faulty hose and I was sprayed in the face and eye with gas?

It also covered my car outside and on the inside. I ended up being OK after a day. The gas station is obviously asking for any receipts and such and when I originally spoke with them they stated they wouldn’t pay for any medical bills so I didn’t go to a doctor. Is there anything I can do with this situation?

Asked on October 7, 2014 under Personal Injury, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the hose was defective (and it wasn't, for example, that you had a problem operating it, dropped it while it was in operation, etc.), then they are potentially liable for your actual out-of-pocket costs--such as if you had to get the car professionally cleaned or had an upholstery replaced; or medical bills, if you had gone to the doctor. Since you were "OK after a day," you cannot recover anything for pain and suffering ("pain and suffering" awards are only for long-lasting, significant impact on your life), and there is no recovery for inconvenience, so all you can get is reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses. If they will not voluntarily pay you, you'd have to sue to get the money; however, depending on much is at stake, it might not be worth the time and cost of a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption