What to do if I was at a party and someone became too intoxicated so I stayed to offer medical assistance but was given an MIP?

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was at a party and someone became too intoxicated so I stayed to offer medical assistance but was given an MIP?

I was at a party and a girl got too intoxicated and we called an ambulance. Everyone left except for the girl and 4 kids (myself included) stayed to help. One of the reasons I stayed is that I am an Eagle Scout and have had first aid training before. I was not the one who actually made the call. I thought that since we called the ambulance, that all of us were immune under state law. However everyone except for the person who actually called, received a MIP for underage drinking. Still I was only trying to do the right thing. Is there any grounds for dismissal whatsoever?

Asked on July 2, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

As a minor, you are not to be in possession of alcohol regardless of the circumstances that brought the officers to the scene. More than likely, if this is your first offense, you may be able to avoid having this appear on your criminal record through a deferred adjudication, but simply providing assistance does not negate the criminal activity of a MIP charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption