What to do about criminal charges stemming from myvisiting at a house when it was raided?

UPDATED: May 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about criminal charges stemming from myvisiting at a house when it was raided?

I was at a house that got raided and I am now being charged with unlawful possession of a firearm by felon and possession of a controlled substance. However they weren’t my guns or drugs. Also, it wasn’t even my house. The other 2 people who got arrested have already been to court and I am just now being indicted.

Asked on May 23, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can defend yourself from the charges, by attacking the state's evidence--e.g. what evidence do they have they possessed the firearm or controlled substance--or by presenting evidence or defenses in your own favor--for example, are there any witnesses who will testify that you did not possess those items? Remember: the state must prove it's case beyond a reasonable doubt. Unfortunately, if the other 2 who were arrested where already indicted, one or both may have or may be cutting a deal to testify against you.

You should retain a criminal defense attorneny immediately. If you cannot afford one, one must be appointed for you. Do not speak to the authorities until you have spoken to your attorney--you have the right to not speak to them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption