If I was arrested for Disorderly Intoxication and now have to appear in court, what should I expect?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was arrested for Disorderly Intoxication and now have to appear in court, what should I expect?

This is my first ever offense and have a clean record otherwise. I have a court date in a month and just want to know what to expect or do. I was not causing a scene, or harm to any others, simply walking to the gas station after a few drinks, and did not drive, so I thought I was being responsible. I tripped over a speed bump, in a shopping plaza that was not even a 2 minute walk from my apartment, that is why the cop stopped me. He didn’t let me walk home even though I was so close to home. What are the typical outcomes of first time offenders in these cases and what do I need to know to be prepared for my court date?

Asked on June 26, 2014 under Criminal Law, Florida


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First, you would be wise to retain counsel.

Second, it is likely a low level offense where jail time is unlikely, but , if convicted, you would face fines nd, possibly havinbg a chemical dependency evaluation. 

With the assistance of an attorney, on a first offense, often a criminal record can be avoided with a Stay of Prosecution.  You may find the cost of counsel well worth it in the long run to preserve your record. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption