If I was arrested but never read my rights, will my case be dismissed?

UPDATED: May 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was arrested but never read my rights, will my case be dismissed?

I was arrested for a failure to comply charge from a few years prior I was ask to step out of the truck and was immediately place in handcuffs and searched. They then asked if I had anything in the truck and I told them about my little bit of marijuana and a pipe. Shortly thereafter I was taken down town. Since I was never read my Miranda rights and was questioned after being placed in cuffs, will my case be thrown out of court?

Asked on May 19, 2014 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, your case will probably not be dismissed. A failure to read you your rights could result in any statements (e.g. a "confession") you gave to the police being thrown out, but if the authorities otherwise have enough evidence to support the charges, they can proceed with those other charges. And if you told the police about marijuana, the drugs would still be available as evidence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption