As a 50% owner of an LLC, what are my rights as far as getting copies of company bank statements?

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a 50% owner of an LLC, what are my rights as far as getting copies of company bank statements?

I was dissolved from the LLC about 4 months ago (at year’s end). I am responsible for half of the taxes for last year, which I paid. My partner saw to the tax preparations with his accountant. There were errors on the K-1s and I suspect in the tax return. I was able to get a copy of the tax return, however my ex-partner will not give me copies of the bank statements so I can have records in case of a federal or state audit.

Asked on April 23, 2013 under Business Law, Tennessee


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You are entitled to them and if the accountant or your partner refuses to give them to you, you need to sue both the ex-partner and accountant for fraud. You should consult an attorney, who may begin with writing a wonderful letter to this person and accountant basically telling them what they are required to do and how it is illegal for them to withhold information from you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption