If I was 17 and my girlfriend was 15 when weconceived our baby, can I face any charges?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was 17 and my girlfriend was 15 when weconceived our baby, can I face any charges?

I want to know if I can face any charges whatsoever. I am now 18 and she is still 15. I would also want to know if the baby can still have my last name even though we are not married? People have been telling me that because I’m an adult an she is a minor that I will automatically be put on child support. Is this true even though my kids mom would not want that?

Asked on September 1, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In all states in this country there are laws prohibiting intimate relations between an adult and a minor. Your are now an adult, over 18 years of age. Your girlfriend is a minor, under 18 years of age. You two are not married.

Potentially the distict attorney's office could file charges as to you even though you are the father of the child between you two conceived when you two were minors, The chances of any criminal charges being filed against you given the closeness in age and the child between you two most likely is remote.

The child can still have your last name. Potentially you could be obligated for child support for your child if you are not paying for it presently.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption