How best to resign from a job where I feel I experienced harsh and unnecessary treatment from a boss?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How best to resign from a job where I feel I experienced harsh and unnecessary treatment from a boss?

Should I design my resignation letter to show proof of this? On the basis of past communication with management I have found it necessary to resign. Will that scare away potential employers?

Asked on December 29, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are in a work situation where you want to resign from your position at work due to harsh and unwarranted treatment from your boss, I suggest that you try and get a replacement job before you terminate your employment with your current employer if at all possible.

The rationale for this is that by terminating your current position when you already have a job, you can simply state later on the the reasons why you quit were due to a better opportunity that arose.

If you feel that you need to resign due to the work conditions that you are writing about, I would simply thank the employer for the opportunity provided you and tender your resignation without any specific wording as to the difficult situation you are in. The rationale is you should not burn your bridges (contacts) in that you might need them later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption