What do I need to do in order to allow my new husband to adopt my daughters?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I need to do in order to allow my new husband to adopt my daughters?

My ex-husband and I have been divorced fo a little over a year. I won sole full custody of our 2 daughters and he was court ordered to pay child support 8 months ago, of which he only made that 1st payment and nothing since then. I also re-married 8 months ago and I want to know what I need to do in order to allow my new husband to adopt the girls and change their last name?

Asked on August 22, 2012 under Family Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Congratulations.  What you need is an order terminating your ex husband's parental rights before the court will allow your husband to adopt the girls.  If your ex wants to voluntarily relinquish his rights that may also be an option.  The court likes to see that some one else is stepping up to the plate.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption