I want to know what evidences are good enough to prove that a heart operation was unsuccessful?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I want to know what evidences are good enough to prove that a heart operation was unsuccessful?

My father had a heart operation 2 years ago and the doctor did not manage to do the operation right. After consulting other doctors we found out that the operation was not successfully. For example they should place the artery at the point A(and they placed it at point B) , although the report of the operation was pointing that the operation was successfully and the artery is placed on point A. What should I do next?

Asked on September 1, 2011 Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The medical report(s) from the consulting doctors will provide evidence of medical malpractice.  Medical malpractice is based on negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care in this case that a reasonable cardiac surgeon in the community would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances) to prevent foreseeable harm.

It would be advisable to speak with a medical malpractice attorney.

Prior to filing a lawsuit for negligence against the surgeon and hospital where the surgery occurred, it may be possible to settle the case with the insurance carriers for the surgeon and hospital.  Your father's claim would consist of the medical bills, medical reports, and documentation of any wage loss.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of the injury (negligent surgery) and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills.

Since the original medical reports don't document the negligent surgery, the insurance carriers for the hospital and surgeon might deny the claim.  Your father's claim should include the medical reports from the consulting doctors which document the negligent surgery.

If the claim is denied or if it is not denied, but your father is dissatisfied with settlement offers from the insurance carriers from both the surgeon and hospital, your father can reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the surgeon and hospital.  If the case is settled with both the surgeon and hospital, no lawsuit is filed.  If the case is only settled with one of these parties, the lawsuit would only name the remaining party as a defendant.  If the case is not settled with either party, the lawsuit would name both the surgeon and hospital as defendants.

The lawsuit must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or your father will lose his rights forever in the matter.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, speak with an experienced medical malpractice attorney, bringing whatever information, etc. you have; the attorney can help you decide if the case is worth pursuing, based on the likelihood of liability and also the damages (compensation) you may collect.

Note that medical malpractice cases can be among the most expensive ones to pursue; to prove them, you will need medical expert testimony--e.g. the testimony of at least one, possibly more, doctors or other medical experts--which can cost thousands of dollars (experts don't work cheap). You'll also probably need a lot of tests (e.g. EKGs, possibly CAT scans or MRIs, etc.), which also do not come cheap. In short, to prove medical negligence (which is what malpractice is), you need medical expertise.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption