I want to know what are my rights and what I am entitled to if in the event this marriage goes south which is what it looks like it’s doing

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I want to know what are my rights and what I am entitled to if in the event this marriage goes south which is what it looks like it’s doing

Me and my husband have been married for almost 2 years we live in a house that was purchased during the marriage it’s not pay for when he pays the mortgage on it,it’s out of a bank account that has over $10,000 in it that I don’t have any access to however he wants me to be a housewife he hasn’t put my name on anything not the bank account not the house not nothing I just want to know what am I rights. What am I entitled to what should I do?

Asked on July 20, 2019 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Every case is different, so we can't give you a definitive answer: the specific facts are critical. That said, as a general matter:
1) All possessions or real estate, money, investments, vehicles, etc. acquired (e.g. earned or bought) during marriage (other than anything one of you inherited) will be divided between the two of you, more or less evenly. E.g. if the total value of your home, the money in bank, vehicles, etc. is $300k, you'd get around $150k of it. There are some adjustments made in the interest of fairness, depending on the exact facts or situation, so that 50-50 split is just a rough rule of thumb.
2) If one of you earns much more than the other and/or has been providing a majority of the family income, that person will likely have to pay spousal support or alimony to the otherl.
3) If you and he have children, whomever gets primary custody will get child support from the other.
Consult with a family or matrimonial law attorney to bette understand what you might get in divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption