I want to know if I am entitled to a refund of a “non-refundable” attorney fee?

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I want to know if I am entitled to a refund of a “non-refundable” attorney fee?

I believed that criminal charges against me were going to be filed and I hired an attorney. He charged me $2,500 and the fee agreement states that it is non-refundable. The charges were not and will not be filed and other than a few conversations with the district attorney; my attorney did nothing on my behalf.

Asked on March 18, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A refund of any "unearned" fee is going to be determined by the language of your attorney's fee agreement and the local rules of your state bar. In Criminal law, attorney's are allowed to have a non-refundable retainer fee, but that fee must be earned, meaning they did some form of sustainable work to justify the fee. Not certain what your attorney did or did not do to have the charges dropped, but I would contact your attorney to determine exactly what work was performed on their part to justify the fee.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption