i want to know how to remove a protective order.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

i want to know how to remove a protective order.

it was placed because my husband because he spanked the kids with the belt.
And that he has never spanked them with the belt before but my mother in law
called the police and that he already did the 45 days but they extended it
and i dnt know why. If someone can tell me who i need to contact in order to
find out information on the protective order in texas.

Asked on July 14, 2017 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like this is an emergency protective order, not a long term protective order (which runs two years).  EPOs usually last no more than 90 days, which means it may expire on its own very soon.  However, if this is an EPO, then you'll have to file a motion with the JP that issued it to demand a hearing and undo it. 
If the protective order is a regular protective order, (namely for two years), then he should have been afforded a hearing to contest the charges.  If that hearing was not held, then he needs to file a motion to have the allegations heard so that he can challenge them. 
Either motion or request will have to be filed with the clerk of the court where the protective order was granted.  If you don't have a copy, call the municipal court, JP Court, and District Clerk where you reside and ask them to look up his name.  The protective order will be in one of those three courts.  From there, one of them can print it off for you so that you know exactly what your husband is facing.
If you have a copy of the protective order, then I would suggest that you take it to an attorney to review...they can explain any other potential defenses that your husband may have. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption