I want to know how long I can stay outside the US

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I want to know how long I can stay outside the US

I want to know how long I can stay outside the US without losing my
Greencard status.
I am planning to live outside the US for a few years, using my rental
properties as income.
My wife is US citizen, she has one property here, and so do I.

Asked on January 20, 2017 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you live outside the US for more than 6 months you are jeopardizing your status.  If you are outside the US for 1 year, your status may be terminated due to abandonment.  As a permanent resident you have to be residing permanently in the US and have the intention to do so.  If you are eligible for naturalization, you should do that first and then you can live outside the US for as long as you like without risking losing it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption